Saturday, January 20

sick day

I'm sick. Sick as a diseased rat in an exotic climate. Aching limbs, fuggy head, lungs full of a vile and distressingly colourful stuff. But thats probably too much information. I also have a desperate inability to get warm in this city, where central heating is still a fantastic and futuristic concept. Be warm all the time?? Not wear coats inside?? Surely that is the talk of heathens!

To ease my discomfort I decided to spend the day under a blanket on the couch, catching up with my pirate DVD purchases. A few episodes of Deadwood series 3 seemed to do the trick, along with Blood Diamond and Telladega Nights, but when it came to the apparent jewel in my collection things took a turn for the worse.

Digging around at the back of the shelves at my local dodgy DVD purveyor last week, I came across a Japanese movie that should have, by all rights, been the best movie in the world ever. It's name? BLIND BEAST vs KILLER DWARF! I mean, with a name like that it couldn't fail but to be the best movie ever, right? Wrong. It turned out to be a ridiculous detective story that didn't make any sense whatsoever - the two characters that lend their names to the title, the blind beast and killer dwarf, never actually meet each other, never mind have a fight. And, for that matter, the 'blind beast' is just a normal bloke who wears dark glasses, walks hunched over and has hair covering the backs of his hands. It does have a dwarf in though, which is pretty awesome.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hope you feel better. The other day I saw a great movie. It would be great to cheer you up if you are still feeling under the weather. It's called Napoleon Dynamite and is very funny.

Linea said...

awwwwww, should I bring you some chicken soup?

best Japanese movie: Samurai Fiction!

penfold tm said...

Lucinda, if that is your real name, Napolean Dynamite is one of the most unfunny pieces of celluloid crap ever to worm its way out of Indie film hell. I watched it last year and had to call in a priest to purge the evils that overtook me. A wretched excuse for film.

And yes please Li! Chicken soup would be lovely. You'd have to spoonfeed me though.